[WikiEN-l] Rampant Deletionism

Jake Waskett jake at waskett.org
Wed Dec 6 20:39:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 21:43 +0100, MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:
> You know what I find annoying? People who 'vote' to merge or delete on xFD.
> If you think something is mergeable, deletion shouldn't even enter your
> mind. Also, merging keeps information, deletion destroys it, they're two
> entirely different beasts. Votes like that are entirely meaningless, but
> especially annoying when the delete part is bolded and put in front.
> Why can't people just say '''Merge''' to article X.
> Deletion can be discussed again if a merge fails. Same goes for cleanup.
> Just because it's not up to scratch now, doesn't mean an article should be
> deleted immediately...

I've done that (delete or merge) a few times, with the best of
intentions. For me, it means "in my opinion, Wikipedia's best interests
are served by deleting this because [...]. However, if there is
insufficient support for that, then I would support [partial] merging
into [...] as a poor alternative, because I think that is better than
the present state of affairs."

> Ah, ranting relieves the soul... :)

So true!