[WikiEN-l] Rampant Deletionism

The Cunctator cunctator at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 16:45:23 UTC 2006

Reading http://www.laboratorium.net/archives/SevenWikipediaFallacies.html :

So maybe the argument is that the fluff somehow degrades the tone of the
encyclopedia. But that can't be much of a concern either. Are we really
going to discredit something useful because it also chooses to be fun? No
one ever forces you to read about Star Trek. If you want to know how a Geneva
drive <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_drive> works, what matters to you
is that Wikipedia have a damn good entry on it. That the same web site also
contains a multi-part list of fictional
cities<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictional_cities>is neither here
nor there.

I tried to follow the link to the list of fictional cities (because I find
the topic interesting). But it had been deleted.

Why? The argument was that a category would be better.

I have my opinions about that, but then WHY DID THEY NOT JUST REDIRECT TO
THE CATEGORY?

Arghhhhhh.

Sorry for the rant.