[WikiEN-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 5 16:15:22 UTC 2006

Puppy wrote:
> Reverse discrimination would be (for example) if women admins were
> promoted on a basis of lower community support, in order to achieve a
> more balanced ratio - a process often referred to as affirmative action,
> and strongly supported by many.

This is all semantic quibbling. The basic situation is simply this;
Wikimedia has a mailing list for the discussion of editing Wikipedia,
and I am not permitted to join this mailing list because I happen to be
male (a "condition" that has no affect whatsoever on my editing, and
which is only known because years back I decided to use my real name
instead of some uninformative pseudonym).

That is discrimination. Whether it's "reverse" of not is of no concern
to me, the effect is exactly the same.

> This is not discrimination. Unless you consider allowing
> women to feel safe is discrimination.

And _this_ is pure tripe. Do you really think that my position is that I
don't want women to feel safe? If that's what you're implying here I'm
quite offended and suggest you retract it immediately. I've said nothing
remotely of the sort.