[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Request to mailing list Wikichix-l rejected

Guettarda guettarda at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 14:29:32 UTC 2006

On 12/5/06, Bogdan Giusca <liste at dapyx.com> wrote:

> > Subscription request
> > has been rejected by the list moderator.  The moderator gave the
> > following reason for rejecting your request:
>
> > "Hi Cunctator. We're only accepting women at this time. I suggest you
> > comment on the existing Wikimedia lists instead. This presence of this
> > list isn't meant to prevent men commening - which you can still do on
> > wikien-l etc."
>
> Maybe we should have a mailing list just for men, too! And a mailing list
> for British people where no Americans are allowed! Or a mailing list
> just for atheists where no Christians would be accepted!

Has a need for British-only or atheist-only lists been identified?  I
haven't noticed ay such discussion on this list.  If such an issue has been
identified and discussed, then it's worth considering.  If it's just based
on the fact that people feel excluded - sure, I don't like being excluded
from things either.  But the list was organised to avoid a specific problem
- women feeling uncomfortable posting to this male-dominated list where
explicitly sexist statements (even if they weren't meant seriously) are left
unchallenged by a large number of people.