[WikiEN-l] First fair use criterium

Bogdan Giusca liste at dapyx.com
Tue Dec 5 12:03:07 UTC 2006

I think the first fair use criterium should be more clearly written:
it seems that many people think that the part about a replacement
which could be "reasonably be found or created" excludes the variant
of getting out of the house and taking a picture. :-)

I've been tagging as replaceable a few hundred fair-use images of
public buildings.

There were quite a number of images which had the "no free
alternative found on the internet" as fair use rationale.

Also, so far, I got one disputation:

<<
I have looked for a free alternative of this image, without finding one.
No luck on Flickr or Google. Short of forking out for a digital camera
and going to take the image myself, I can't see how "a free image that
provides substantially the same information might reasonably be found or
created".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_talk:Campbell_College.jpg