[WikiEN-l] Introducing a new mailing list

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 05:56:13 UTC 2006

On 12/4/06, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

<snip>

> That being said, I don't think it's for us males to demand that the
> womenfolk open up their new clubhouse to us. If it is the right thing
> to do, I do believe that initiative can and will come from the group
> itself.

Yes, thank you. To expand on what I said earlier: my personal view is that
it'd be best to open the list to both genders; that view may not be shared
amongst all women in the community. I respect that there may well be women
who will not want to participate in the list/group if there is open
membership, and I think most people who are seriously interested in the
issue don't want to have to discuss it in a hostile environment, such has
been shown in some of the comments here. Because of this, it's appropriate
to first have a series of considered discussions about the place of the list
and who it is for amongst the initial (invited, female) membership; those
discussions haven't happened yet. People of both genders are (I presume)
welcome to continue discussing the issue on existing mailing lists.

Honestly, I think I am being discriminated against in this community because
my patience for endless bickering is thin.
 -- phoebe