[WikiEN-l] overzealous image deletion?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 01:18:30 UTC 2006

On 12/5/06, Mark Wagner <carnildo at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's not what's being enforced here.  If someone is a noted recluse
> and the only available picture is a fair-use one, then the image
> passes FUC #1.  On the other hand, if someone makes weekly appearances
> in front of tens of thousands of people, there's no reason to use a
> non-free image of him.

If we don't *have* a free image of someone, why should we not use a
non-free image? This is the bit I don't get. Yes, by all means,
someone should go out and photograph Mr John C Popular Esquire. But
until they've done that, why deprive ourselves of the fair use image?

If it's just about motivating someone to go and do it, isn't that a
separate problem?

> It's much like the "reasonable person" standard in law: is it possible
> that a [[reasonable person]] can make or find a free-license picture
> of this?  If yes, then any non-free image of it fails FUC #1.

Paparazzi are reasonable people now?

Steve