[WikiEN-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 4 13:18:42 UTC 2006

Angela,

Any idea to make Wikipedia a more comfortable place for people to get involved
is a worthy one, and I support a forum for editors to discuss issues of gender
bias in wikis, to promote wikis to potential female editors, and for general
discussion of wikis in a female-friendly environment.

However, I have to confess to being unhappy with the existence of an
officially-endorsed *females-only* mailing list and wiki. Discussion isn't
enabled by segregating the people who should be talking to each other about a
problem, and I do not think Wikipedia should be in the business of excluding
people from discussions because of their gender. WikiChix can still be made a
female-friendly forum by use of moderation.

Ubuntu Women say, "Ubuntu-Women is not about segregation of women, rather its
goal is to integrate women as equals within the mainstream development going on
in the Ubuntu world. Remember, membership is open to all and not based on
gender alone. If you want to increase diversity and encourage women in Linux
please don't hesitate to speak to us."

I urge you to follow their example, but otherwise keep up the good work,

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com