[WikiEN-l] SOS -- Save Our Sources

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 12:30:20 UTC 2006

> Things will change. At present we're hearing a lot about ex-copyright books being put online, but not seeing that. What I notice these days is how many older academic papers are now online, particularly in the humanities, but behind subscription walls. In a sense what WP should do is to harness its people to put selective quotes from those, undoubted fair use in the scholarly convention, online. Oh, that's what we do anyway ... seems we should assume good faith of those doing that. In summary, pro tem we should get round the issue with more verbatim footnotes.

It's not just old papers - almost all papers are available online in
you have the right subscriptions (which basically means logging on
from a university computer, or via a university proxy). Some are even
available before they're published (preprints).

I don't think there's any need to quote the passages we're using, just
cite the paper in the usual way. There are plenty of academic
Wikipedians that can verify the source.