[WikiEN-l] SOS -- Save Our Sources

James Mackay james.mackay at cytanet.com.cy
Mon Dec 4 06:54:56 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:

>On 12/4/06, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

>>Fair use generally only applies if you are using the copyrighted

>>material in an article about the material itself.

>That's a very specific example of fair use which Wikipedia generally

>dictates as the only one it's willing to accept. I believe that lots

>of other uses can be "fair use". For example, it's generally

>acceptable for an academic to photocopy bits out of a journal so that

>they can study it at home, if the journal can't be borrowed - no

>violation of copyright takes place. I believe this would be in the

>same category. We would not be copying the material to avoid someone

>having to buy the book, we'd be copying it to enable readers to simply

>check that it says what someone is claiming it does. Perfectly fair,

>IMHO.

>From experience as an academic who regularly photocopies bits out of
journals, I can tell you that the practise is certainly NOT "generally
acceptable".  There are tight restrictions on what can and cannot be copied,
and an absolute limit of 10% of the material is imposed.  The British
Library, and many of the other top-quality academic libraries, have staff
specially assigned to ensure that this limit is not breached.

For the purpose being talked of here, the copyright laws simply wouldn't
allow it, particularly as you are talking about reproducing the article
online for more than just personal use.

James