[WikiEN-l] SOS -- Save Our Sources

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 04:28:53 UTC 2006

On 12/3/06, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> The same mechanism should apply for web pages, where we can copy the
> relevant bits of a webpage and store them somewhere in case the
> website is no longer available. Archive.org is only a partial solution
> to that - and what if archive.org itself disappears?

One could just as easily wonder if wikipedia.org might one day dissapear.

A friend of mine works for the Internet Archive.  They believe they're
stable and mostly technically/talent limited on growth.

If there's significant concern on these points, then the Wikimedia
Foundation could form an exchange agreement with the IA, trading
copies of the respective databases, for redundancy.

Or send some of the $1 billion everyone keeps talking about thataway ;-)

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com