[WikiEN-l] overzealous image deletion?

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Sun Dec 3 17:53:57 UTC 2006

Evidently someone has decided that fair use doesn't apply to
images of living people, that any image of a person (legitimately
fair use or not) can be speedily deleted, on the grounds that a
free image could be found or created.

I'm sure this issue has been hashed out at length somewhere, and
I'm not trying to reopen the argument here on the mailing list.
I just want to point out two things, in case someone here feels
like trying to straighten them out.

1. [[Template:Replaceable fair use]] says, "If this image is
determined to be replaceable within one week from <today>,
the image may be deleted by any administrator.  Do not remove
this tag."  This leaves me wondering what is supposed to happen
if, after a week, the image is not determined to be replaceable.

2. [[Template:Speedy-image-c]], which is being added to pages
which use images falling into this category, says "The image
above is a candidate for speedy deletion.  It will be deleted
seven days after being nominated".  But this conflicts with the
above -- there is no "if" or "unless".

Also, if someone could let me know where this new policy has been
discussed, I'd appreciate it, so that I can register my (belated)
opinion on it.