[WikiEN-l] Phrase, fable, popular culture

Rob Smith nobs03 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 17:42:01 UTC 2006

On 12/1/06, Daniel P. B. Smith <wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com> wrote:

> I think a lot of this stuff was pop culture in its time....
>
> Homer was a superstar performer, and he probably riffed on his lyre
> like Bruce Springsteen. I've always heard that educated Greeks did
> not believe the gods and goddesses were real....

So true, but it wasn't just a system of belief; it was a an
educational tool couched in entertainment.  In the pre-broadcast &
electronic transmission eras, social gatherings whittled the hours
away around the campfire. Homer couldn't protect his stuff by
copyright, and less gifted wannabe's toured provincal venues
bootlegging his material.

Nobs01