[WikiEN-l] Invited by admin to leave en if concerned about free reusability

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 14 18:01:52 UTC 2006

Stan Shebs wrote

> To me it says that en: has gotten big. I think the old assumption
> was that the definition of admin as "trustworthy editor" really
> meant that admins would naturally tend to be in agreement about
> philosophy and principles.

en-WP does scale/doesn't scale. One can make both cases. On the one hand, just as the hardware now copes with hugely more traffic, so also the social arrangements are perhaps surprisingly robust in relation to continued growth. OTOH, there are possibly some areas where there is no consensus, and the absence of a really agreed basis of how to proceed is storing up issues (which cannot adequately be aired). I come down on the optimist side of the argument, myself. The old-school wiki-way says if you don't like it, leave and come back some other time. Plenty of folk do stay and keep it all very constructive.

Charles