[WikiEN-l] Article bragging (was: Re: en: well on the way to ... 2 million!)

maru dubshinki marudubshinki at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 23:13:58 UTC 2006

> Heh! That's how I wrote [[Envoy (WordPerfect)]] and [[Smart Display]].
> I saw both terms mentioned on Groklaw, didn't know what they meant so
> looked them up on Wikipedia (it's already a fantastically useful
> computer terminology guide - hence why the [[FOLDOC]] maintainer saw
> it and promptly wondered whether he should continue with FOLDOC at
> all. Since they didn't exist, I promptly researched them and wrote the
> articles. This is where a lot of my articles come from.
>

> - d.

Did he decide to continue? I have to agree, it does seem kind of
pointless: Wikipedia is GFDL as well, contains many of the sources
FOLDOC draws upon, has inherently better technical facilities (not
just in linking to fuller encyclopedic entries on terms but in
general), better articles etc.

But I've always wondered something about FOLDOC; does its name come
from the foldr and foldl operators in functional languages?

~maru
Shock! Quelle horreur! We don't have [[foldl]] or [[foldr]]!