[WikiEN-l] Recognition for en.Wikipedia's cricket articles

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 29 16:43:23 UTC 2006

"Nick Boalch" wrote

> Obviously this is really pleasing for our cricket coverage; Cricinfo may
> be 'only' a website but it's one that every cricket fan with an Internet
> connection uses (not to mention one that we ourselves have raided
> mercilessly for information as a source!), so this is a nice recognition
> of the quality of Wikipedia's articles in this area.

Yes, they're copious and largely good.

A quibble I have is that you find things like Viv Richards introduced as
'West Indian cricketer'.  Well, he is; but he is Antiguan by nationality.
He played for the West Indies team; and I suppose if you go back to the time
of the British West Indies then there is some further discussion to be had.

But I think it would be an improvement if the leads went the extra 22 yards
and made it 'Guyanese' and so on.  I feel slightly embarrassed about how it
is now.

Charles