[WikiEN-l] CNN: Campaign manager resigns amid Wikipedia flap

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Apr 28 00:33:16 UTC 2006

Michael Lindeen wrote:

>Yes. And as we get larger and more prominent, this will become more
>common, not less. Mike
>
>On 4/27/06, Pete Bartlett <pcb21 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>The campaign manager of a candidate in the Georgia (*)
>>gubernatorial election has resigned after someone in his
>>office changed the bio of her opponent.
>>
>>Full story at:
>>http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/26/cox.wikipedia/
>>
>>Another reminder to us and our fellow editors of the huge
>>responsibilty we all bear these days to edit well.
>>
>>Pcb21
>>
>>*that's the American one, in case you were wondering

We really need to look at the positive side of these incidents.  When a
traditional newspaper would include hurtful comments of this sort it
could bury a retraction at the bottom of an even-numbered page a few
days later.  Someone who would spread defamatory rumours in a Wikipedia
biography would be just as likely to do it elsewhere.  If these people
are4 more easily exposed it good be a good effect on the practice of
politics..

Ec