[WikiEN-l] WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 33, Issue 152

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 16:37:08 UTC 2006

On 4/24/06, Tony Sidaway <f.crdfa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/24/06, Molu <loom91 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > "The recent fuss over Office actions demonstrates amply that even quite
> > well established administrators feel that they can challenge and
> > disregard the interests of the Foundation." Unfortunately it demonstrates nothing even remotely resembling the dark senario you choose to paint. No party involved *has* challenged, let alone felt entitled to challenge, the interests of the foundation.
>
> To be specific, Geni removed office protection from an article about a
> month ago without consulting Danny,

Not quite true (the real situation is far more complex). In any case
there was either one heck of a statistical fluke (Danny managed to
resolve the situation which had been going on for a month within 24
hours of my actions) or he had indeed forgotten about it (remember at
that point office actions were limited to "short term" later Jimbo
stated this was one week. In short Danny was acting outside policy
(although I don't think deliberately).

WP:OFFICE is an interesting case as far as policy is concerned. We are
told (correctly) that it is vital to the survival of Wikipedia and yet
most of it appears to have been stitched together based on a mixture
of president and brief emails from Jimbo. Further more I can only find
one non English equivalent. Considering the amount of thought that
goes into most en.wikipedia policy it doesn't seem logical that a
policy this critical should be thrown together in such an ad hoc

--
geni