[WikiEN-l] Can the building owner be sued?

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 24 01:43:03 UTC 2006

Anthony DiPierro wrote:

>On 4/23/06, Michael Snow <wikipedia at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>Anthony DiPierro wrote:

>>>C'mon now, there are plenty of people who are not lawyers who are
>>>trying to guess.  Surely the fact that you are not a lawyer is not the
>>>reason you wouldn't even try to guess.
>>>

>>No, the real reason he isn't trying to guess is because he has good
>>sense. You don't see any lawyers trying to guess, do you?
>>
>>--Michael Snow
>>

>Are you implying that lawyers have good sense?

I certainly don't claim that for all of them, but they're probably as
capable of good sense as the rest of the population.

>Anyway, no, I don't see any lawyers trying to guess, but lawyers tend
>to be greedy and not give away their expertise without getting paid
>for it - one of the reasons I'm not a lawyer.

Actually, most lawyers of my acquiantance are frequently willing to give
their initial impression about a situation to people they know, without
insisting on being paid. Any lawyer knows that one of the
blessings/curses of their avocation is the inundation of friends and
family with questions about legal issues, even if the appropriate
response sometimes is, "You need to get a lawyer." However, lawyers
generally prefer to deal with real situations, not made-up ones; this is
at best a law school exam hypothetical, and they've already done enough
of those, thank you very much.

Also, to the extent that this implicates a real situation, any sensible
attorney should have an idea of who they're communicating with. To the
extent that you're responding to a potential client, it's usually not a
good idea to discuss it in a public forum, because then you've probably
destroyed any attorney-client privilege that might exist for the
communication.

--Michael Snow