[WikiEN-l] Wikitruth

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Apr 23 22:04:33 UTC 2006

Damn.  I changed my analogy before sending this message and didn't fix
it correctly.

On 4/22/06, Tony Sidaway <f.crdfa at gmail.com> wrote:
> A similar argument applies to defamation.  The onus is on me, as
> custodian of my own post, to demonstrate that I do not recklessly
> dispose of it.  Whilst I shouldn't be expected to take responsibility
> for any and every illegal act that is perpetrated by my servants, once
> I become aware that such an act may take place, I should take
> reasonable steps to prevent it.  The problem is the word "reasonable".
>  If a defamatory statement is published, a plaintiff may well have an
> apprehension that this is because I have been reckless, even if I
> haven't,  and much time and money may be spent by both sides in
> deciding the issue.

So someone goes to a community corkboard in an apartment building and
writes "John Heybobarebob is gay" on a corkboard message.  Then the
owner of the apartment building sees the defamatory statement, takes
down the message, and stores it in a closet with a bunch of other
removed messages.  Then a janitor goes into to the closet, takes the
message, and creates photocopies which she proceeds to hand out to
people.

You think the building owner can be sued?

I don't get it.

Anthony