[WikiEN-l] Wheel warring

jayjg jayjg99 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 18:33:44 UTC 2006

> On 4/23/06, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I almost agree, but in some cases that person might still be operating
> > > under mistaken assumptions. Say they found some evidence which suggested
> > > that a particular user was a sockpuppet of a blocked user and placed a
> > > block on the 'sockpuppet' as a result. However, the second admin then
> > > uncovered proof that the person wasn't a sockpuppet and unblocked. The
> > > first admin might well accuse the second of 'wheel warring' and reblock,
> > > but only because of a failure of communication. The second admin wasn't
> > > 'opposing the judgement' of the first, they were just working off a
> > > different set of facts. The second admin shouldn't have to discuss the
> > > matter before taking an action they know to be correct... though it would
> > > be a good idea to send the first admin a note to fill them in on the details.
> >
> > No, what the second admin should do is discuss the case with the first
> > admin, rather than unblocking.  Maybe the first admin has evidence
> > that the second admin is unaware of.  If the second admin has
> > conclusive evidence, then the first admin will undoubtedly unblock. If
> > not, then there is a dispute, and the second admin should not wheel
> > war.  In any event, admins should not act under the bad faith
> > supposition that *they know better*; that is what starts the wheel
> > war.
> >
> > Jay.
>
> In the mean time an inocent user may stay blocked. Not good. Remeber
> the first admin was also sure enough that they knew best in order to
> block.

A brief block is not the end of the world. If it drags on for a
lengthy period then it's something else.  And yes, the first admin
executed their best judgement when making the block; that's what
admins are supposed to do.  If a second admin disagrees with that
judgement, then they need to take it up with the first admin, rather
than initiate a wheel war with them.

Jay.