[WikiEN-l] Wheel culture (was:Indefinite block and desysopping...)

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 20:04:23 UTC 2006

On 22/04/06, Philip Welch <wikipedia at philwelch.net> wrote:
> On Apr 20, 2006, at 3:49 PM, Steve Bennett wrote:
>
> > Would it be worth asking less active admins to consider handing in
> > their mops, on the understanding that they can ask for them back
> > without having to go through RfA again? Just to keep the number of
> > mops out there down a bit?
>
> What's the point? Are we running out of mops?

Yep. Or more to the point, the mop-provider is saying "when people
start actually using the mops, I'll give out some more" or something.
People make false assumptions based on the fact that we have 800 or so
admins. If we only had 100 admins, apparently we would still get
nearly as much work done, but people would make different judgments
about them.

Fwiw, I don't have a problem with having marginally active admins. But
you do relatively often see comments like "we already have 800 admins,
we don't really need any more", to which someone always replies "see
the copyvio backlog". That discussion *would* work better if there
were only 100...

Steve