[WikiEN-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny

Brian Salter-Duke b_duke at octa4.net.au
Sat Apr 22 11:43:23 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 09:17:13PM -0700, Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Matt R wrote:
>
> >Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com>:

> >>Except he wasn't an Wikipedian in good standing; he had attempted to
> >>start a wheel war.
> >>

> >What you are arguing is untenable. Even if we agree with your
> >interpretation that Erik was starting a wheel-war, an indefinite block was
> >not an appropriate reaction by any reasonable standard (to use your
> >phrase). We kick people off
> >the project in a limited set of circumstances: when it's clear that they
> >are hindering
> >us more than they are helping us. Danny, for all the good work that he no
> >doubt
> >does, did the wrong thing here. For him to acknowledge this in a public
> >forum would
> >be reassuring.
> >
> Danny's silence in this series of threads has been very loud.  He, more
> than anyone else, is in a position to quell the flames with one short post.

> Ec

I am not an administrator and have only been around since the last day
of October last year. I have been on this list for a few months because
I like to understand what is going on in some detail. Naturally I have
wondered about whether I should at some point aim to become an administrator.
What is going on here makes me think that I would need very strong persuasion
indeed to even consider it. Basically one should not have to put up with what
Erik has had inflicted on him. Now of course I have no problem with the
OFFICE block and I do not disagree one little bit with what Jimbo has said
recently, but neither he or Danny have given even a hint about why Erik's
block was justified or apologised if it was not. We do not want or need
the full story, but we do want a hint. Administrators are volunteers. The
mushroom principle should not apply here (keep people in the dark and
throw shit over them).

[[Bduke]]

         Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke) b_duke at octa4.net.au
       Post: 626 Melbourne Rd, Spotswood, VIC, 3015, Australia
    Phone 03-93992847. http://members.iinet.net.au/~linden1/brian/
Honorary Researcher Fellow, Dept. of Medicinal Chemistry, Monash Univ.