[WikiEN-l] Why the uproar over wikitruth

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 14:56:28 UTC 2006

On 21/04/06, Tony Sidaway <f.crdfa at gmail.com> wrote:
> liability for publication by agents of the provider.  A Wikipedia
> administrator who uses his special powers to publish defamatory
> content or copy copyright-infringing content would tend to advance the
> case against Wikipedia for third-party liability.

That would all hinge on whether a "Wikipedia administrator" represents
Wikipedia in any respect. I don't think they do, not more than any
editor does. Taken to its conclusion, you would be saying that user A
writes something horrible on Wikipedia, user B (possibly an admin if
you like) then publishes that in print in 50 magazines, and user A
deletes the horrible remark. Wikipedia is liable for user B's actions?

Steve