[WikiEN-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 15:22:02 UTC 2006

On 4/20/06, Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> ...but I have a
> great deal of respect for the need of the Foundation to take
> appropriate measures to protect its very real legal interests in the
> face of potential litigation.

This has been repeated ad nauseum in this thread, but it appears that
this point hasn't gotten through: I'm positive that 99% of the
community (and this thread) has NO problem WHATSOEVER with WP:OFFICE.
We get it, it's a necessary evil. It's not fun, but it is something
that has to be there. We don't want wikipedia sued, and if that's what
it takes, so be it. WP:OFFICE is not the point in this case.

The point is that Eloquence, one of the oldest and most trusted users
on wikipedia, one of the people that have really helped shape the way
we see and use wikipedia today, was indefinitly blocked and desysopped
for undoing what he thought was a random admin action, one that he
thought was out of policy. Danny, who is the only one who can invoke
WP:OFFICE, simply ignored to tell us, the rest of the community, that
he was doing just that.

When it comes to WP:OFFICE, we don't demand much. You can lock down
the article for as long as it is an issue, you don't have to tell us
anything about the case, you don't even have to inform us how long it
will be locked. We're fine with all that. But please, show us enough
respect to actually, properly, inform us what we are doing, and don't
perma-ban one of the most trusted editors out there for a simple
misunderstanding.

That is really not ok, not in any way, shape or form.