[WikiEN-l] Tool Server disabled - link to WikiTech-L maillist discussion (Johntex)

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Apr 20 14:52:01 UTC 2006

John Tex wrote:
> Recently, enwiki was apparently moved without warning to a new server.  This
> caused the external toolserver to be unable to perform any analysis of
> enwiki information.  One of the major users of toolserver is Gmaxwell, who
> performs several different beneficial processes using the toolserver.
>
> He has posted to WikiTech-L explaining what happened and what the effects
> are:
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2006-April/034904.html
>
> There is also an essay forming at:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Toolserver
>
> I urge everyone to visit one or both of the above links to learn more and to
> express your support for getting the situation resolved.

We're way ahead of you. To improve the administrative situation, two more people have been given
root access: Gregory Maxwell (who you mention above) and DaB. Mark Bergsma will be installing a new
external disk array within the next week, hopefully giving the toolserver enough disk space and
power to replicate all databases. Please be patient.

It was down altogether for a few hours today. If I understand correctly, this was due to a planned
reboot for maintenance and some subsequent problems getting it to come back up.

-- Tim Starling