[WikiEN-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny (Johntex)

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 02:03:37 UTC 2006

On 4/20/06, Tony Sidaway <f.crdfa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/20/06, John Tex <johntexster at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Finally, I love the message for our attorney which explains the importance
> > of having an office policy, but does absolutely nothing to provide any
> > rational for why we should then FAIL TO FOLLW our office policy.  I guess
> > maybe that sort of speech fools some of the people some of the time.
>
> This is uncalled for.
>
> Firstly Brad said that there does need to be a healthy debate about
> precisely this.
>
> Secondly the question of whether the i's are dotted and the t's are
> crossed by the person performing the protection is of piddling
> insignificance when set against the fact that the right thing is done.

It not so much that that the i were not dotted and the t were not
crossed. It's that the the dots and crosses removed.

> Policy is that we don't let potentially dangerous content remain while
> we discuss a  problem with a third party who has contacted us with a
> serious complaint.  If this isn't spelled out then perhaps it should
> be.
>
> I'm sitting here and, over the months, watching people head towards
> Danny's office actions like moths to a flame.  No wonder he doesn't
> want to advertise them, particularly the more sensitive ones.  This
> latest kerfuffle is a good sign that the process we have set up just
> isn't enough.  The rules are not an end in themselves.  We must
> recognise that the Foundation does important work to keep this and the
> other projects alive and well funded, and it must be permitted to do
> that.  All the fripperies about whether X or Y followed some rules are
> immaterial.  The work must be done.

WP:OFFICE actions can be carried out. They cannot be carried out in
secret since that would involve sucessfuly hideing information from
wikipedians (the only way to do that is to claim something is a
wikipedia guideline or list it as a copyvio). We have a process of
sorts. If it is goinged to be changed some warning would be nice.
--
geni