[WikiEN-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny

Philip Welch wikipedia at philwelch.net
Wed Apr 19 19:08:22 UTC 2006

On Apr 19, 2006, at 11:56 AM, Erik Moeller wrote:

> I have been a Wikipedian since 2001 and a MediaWiki developer since
> 2002. I was Chief Research Officer of the Foundation from May to
> August 2005....

Clearly a trusted good faith user...

> I have just been indefinitely blocked from the English Wikipedia, and
> desysopped, by user Danny, under the new nickname "Dannyisme", as an
> "Office Action" for alleged "reckless endangerment" which was not
> specified further. I have called Danny on the phone, but he said that
> he was not willing to discuss the issue, and that I should instead
> talk to the Foundation attorney instead. To my knowledge, this is the
> first time office authority has been used to indefinitely block and
> desysop a user.

Who has been kicked off Wikipedia due to an office action...

> ...There was no mention of WP:OFFICE in the edit summary or on the
> talk
> page. Danny did not apply the special Office template, {{office}}, nor
> did he use the "Dannyisme" account that he created for Foundation
> purposes, nor did he list the page on WP:OFFICE. Instead, he applied
> the regular {{protected}} template.
> Given that Danny has now more explicitly emphasized this distinction
> between his role as a Foundation employee and a regular wiki user, I
> assumed he was acting here as a normal sysop and editor, and
> unprotected the two pages...

...due to interfering with an office action that was not adequately
stated as such.

> I apologize if this action was perceived as "reckless", but I must
> emphasize that I was acting in good faith, and that I would much
> appreciate it if all office actions would be labeled as such.

Agreed. This seems like a simple misunderstanding, and I advise that
if the facts that Eric provides are correct, that he be reinstated in
full.

--
Philip L. Welch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch