[WikiEN-l] Answers.com tool released

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 17:09:18 UTC 2006

On 4/12/06, Elisabeth Bauer <elian at djini.de> wrote:

> It's a tool, it goes on the tools page. You didn't scrutinize the
> business practices of the other companies listed on the page, so why do
> it here?

I'm in favor of an NPOV description of any relevant business practices
of companies listed on [[Wikipedia:Tools]], particularly those related
directly to the tools listed there. For example, if WikiWax filed a
patent lawsuit against Google on their "search autocompletion"
feature, I would very much be in favor of informing our readers about
this. However, I am not aware of any such incidents. The other
question is, if Answers.com's tool is listed, *where* it should be
listed.

As for whether or not the issue is important, it becomes obviously
more important if [[Wikipedia:Tools]] is listed more prominently in
the user interface, e.g. the sidebar, as has been proposed in the past
in conjunction with the Answers.com partnership. As long as
Wikipedia:Tools stays where it is, a fairly obscure page in the middle
of nowhere, I do not care *that* much.

Erik