[WikiEN-l] Image deletion

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Tue Apr 11 17:52:49 UTC 2006

Andrew Gray wrote:

>On 10/04/06, Mark Wagner <carnildo at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>Off-the-cuff remark: Why not upload a new version of the image which
>>>is totally blank, and protect it with a note saying that if no
>>>consensus is gained to undelete the image in a month, it should then
>>>be permanently deleted?
>>>
>>Volume.  Approximately 1,500 images are deleted every day.  It's a
>>slow enough process when the image is already orphaned, and clearly
>>meets the requirements for deletion.  Adding "blank, protect, and
>>check back in a month" will just make things that much slower.
>>
>>(speaking of images, [[Category:Orphaned fairuse images]] has a
>>backlog of roughly 1800 items right now)
>>

>Of which 1600 have been marked for more than a week - admins, please!
>
>http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/cgi-bin/report_orphan_fair_use.py

<groan> Those aren't going to get so much attention as long as we have
thousands of of bad uploads streaming in on a daily basis, and admins
have to clean everything up with the equivalent of a teaspoon, because
OMG we might inadvertantly delete a highly valuable view up somebody's
nostrils taken with a cellphone camera.

Arbcom should consider that for a new category of punishments - "clean
up 1,000 image uploads".

Stan