[WikiEN-l] FYI: Daily Record: Wikipedia site filled with major mistakes

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 11 09:28:41 UTC 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: Mathias Schindler <neubau at presroi.de>
To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at Wikipedia.org>
Sent: Tuesday, 11 April, 2006 9:36:55 AM
Subject: [WikiEN-l] FYI: Daily Record: Wikipedia site filled with major mistakes

> http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060411/COLUMNISTS04/604110302/1103/COLUMNISTS
> "Every time I look up something I know a bit about, I find errors."

> In a summary, it's a nice little rant with some pointers to articles
> that might need cleanup (or NPOV protection from dear Warren)

Hmm...in the bit about Barry Goldwater he seems to be a disgruntled person not familiar with our policies on citing sources and our normal venues for article discussion (and is rude and obnoxious about it, to boot). After having his addition removed from the article, he (Warren Boroson) writes:

   "[A Wikipedia editor] never contacted me directly, as he should have; he just high-handedly dismissed my note, going on and on like a nutcase about: Where's the evidence? Well, if that yahoo had written to me, as he should have, I would have replied: I was a primary source. I was the magazine's managing editor."

It seems he's referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Barry_Goldwater#Libel_and_sanity

In which case, yes -- he needs to provide a verifiable source (we can't take his word for it), and the talk page is the appropriate page to discuss it.

Best of all, he closes his piece with:

   "I suspect that whoever edited my contribution had no professional editing experience whatsoever. I suspect, in fact, that if he went to college, he must have majored in."

-- Matt
[[User:Matt Crypto]]