[WikiEN-l] Deterioration: losing references

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 11 08:05:44 UTC 2006

Matt Brown wrote:
> On 4/10/06, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Footnotes for anyone who was
>> unaware of the new system. I'm loving it. :)
>>

> I've already had one editor remove my references in this format,
> seemingly out of not liking it.  Reverted and posted to his talk page
> and he hasn't done it again, but it was annoying.

I've wound up in "fights" over switching to the new reference formatting
twice now. But I remember similar problems back when the automatic image
thumbnailing feature was added to Wikimedia, with people who'd spent a
lot of effort creating separate thumb-sized versions of images getting
bent out of shape when their hard work started getting orphaned and
deleted as redundant, and eventually everyone came around to the new
way. I suspect this too shall pass.