[WikiEN-l] Application of the {{pd-art}} tag

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Tue Apr 11 04:19:02 UTC 2006

G'day Pedro,

> while we're a topic, a couple of months ago I took pictures (on a
> museum) of ancient mayan sculptures. Unfortunately I was on a hurry so
> I couldn't go talk with staff.
> Now, who owns the copyright? Those sculptures are like a thousand year
> old, but pd-old doesn't apply (it will apply 100 years after I die in
> case I actually hold the copyright of my pictures)
>
> Can I upload such pictures to wikipedia? Can museum claim copyright on
> the ancient sculptures? and if so, can it claim copyright on my
> pictures?

I think a photo of a 3D sculpture has a lot more "creativity" in it than
a scan of a painting: choosing the angle, and so on.  Such a photo could
well be copyright you.  If I'm wrong, then the copyright would be held
by the original artist (in other words, PD-old).

Either way, the museum has no claim on you.  I believe that's why some
museums don't like you taking photos.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"