[WikiEN-l] Application of the {{pd-art}} tag

Mak makwik at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 18:47:30 UTC 2006

<snip>

> > This has come up in an article I'm working on- does this ruling apply to
> > images from books or manuscripts? Are books three dimensional art works,
> > even if what you're reproducing is a single page from them? My father, a
> > librarian, seems to think the owning library continues to hold copyright
> for
> > all such images. I'm not so sure.
>
> Photocopying a page of a book is a slavish copy... but you can make a
> good case that photography of any book as an archival process, or with
> the intent of producing high-quality images, is a sufficiently
> difficult process that it passes the minimum-creativity standard.
>
> I don't know what the caselaw is on it, but I would be wary of an
> overbroad reliance on Bridgeman.
> - Andrew Gray
>   andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk

<snip>

The specific image I'm thinking of is my own scan of a really crummy
black-and-white microfilm, not an art-book/good facsimile level
reproduction. I can see how in some cases such work would conceivably be
copyrightable, but not how any image made from a book which is itself out of
copyright would be copyrightable by the owning institution.

Makemi