[WikiEN-l] Real-time mirrors as a net revenue _source_?

Ryan Delaney ryan.delaney at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 10:59:41 UTC 2006

On 4/10/06, Tim Starling <t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> How many mirrors is enough? 1000? 10,000? 100,000? Eventually I imagine
> the market will become
> saturated, when a new mirror can't recover its minimal startup costs, even
> with the most aggressive
> SEO techniques. What will the Internet look like then? Will the average
> user be able to find
> independent information in the search engines, which didn't come from
> Wikpedia?

I guess that within this theoretical framework, you have to decide whether
you're more interested in what's good for the internet or what's good for
WMF. Fortunately, that's a false dilemma, as we seem to be getting by just
fine with donations. The only way we would be forced to make such a decision
is if we chose to adopt this idea.

Ryan