[WikiEN-l] Deleting the Lolicon picture

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Sat Apr 8 12:12:33 UTC 2006

G'day BJörn,

> Something I feel have been missed is Sam Korn's original assertion
> that "[The image deletion] process is demonstrably broken" because
> this image was not deleted by it. I believe the process is not broken
> at all, but that Sam's approach to it was wrong. If he had stuck with
> the 100% demonstrably true facts; 1. the image is not free, 2. there
> is a free replacement, then I believe the image could have been
> deleted without much fuss. But when you use emotional arguments ("This
> image is extremely harmful to Wikipedia..."), expect a filibuster.

I just had this amazing flash of insight!  Like many amazing flashes of
insight, it may be off-target, so feel free to correct me.

Let's step back in time, and give Sam his time over again.

(SK = "smoddy", LT = "Lolicon Trolls" because I couldn't think of
anything better on the spur of the moment, SP = "FloNight", FL =
"freedom lovers")

SK: Hi, I'm smoddy.  I think you should delete this image because it's
     an unnecessary fair use image and there's a better free image
     available.
LT: Actually, in the free image you don't quite get the same close up of
     sickeningly inappropriate child porn.  Also, some of the magazines
     in the free image print drawings of adults, which is clearly wrong.
SP: I agree with Sam!
LT: FloNight agrees?  That proves this is all about censorship!
FL: AAARGH!  WIKIPEDIA IS NOT CENSORED!  I haven't even seen this image,
     but we *cannot* delete it!  You monsters!  You're just like the
     Communists!  Or was it Fascists?!

The moral of the story and, incidentally, the only part of this email
that's serious, is that certain images will attract a crowd of
anti-censorship Wikipedians regardless of what reasons we have for deletion.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"