[WikiEN-l] Illegal sources

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 14:30:44 UTC 2006

(oops, sent to Sam not the list)

On 07/04/06, Sam Korn <smoddy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/7/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The FBI puts most of its released FOIA material online; much more is
> > held by places like the National Security Archive and, again,
> > accessible to the public. Wouldn't this class as publication by a
> > reputable source?
>
> Oh, I didn't know that.  Yes, then, it would.

It's a big thing now.

Bear in mind that the author, the FBI or whoever, is inherently a
citable source - they're the government. All you need to do is make
sure that the material is available to people who aren't you; indeed,
I'd argue that hosting it on your own website is fine as long as it's
not in serious doubt the original publisher was the FBI. (and
copyright permits)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk