[WikiEN-l] Illegal sources

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Fri Apr 7 13:34:17 UTC 2006

Verification (for Wikipedia purposes) involves verification that the
information was published in a reliable source. It does not require
verification in the various other senses which might require actual
proof of the matter.

Thus we can truthfully say that it was reported in the New York Times
or by BBC (or some other source generally considered reliable) that
something occurred. We do not need to do original research to confirm
it.

In the matter of child pornography there is no need to view the
pictures to fulfill Wikipedia verification. One can imagine some sort
of classified, obscene or extraordinarily inflammatory document which
might be illegal, but generally such information cannot be considered
a reliable published source. Classified documents are by their nature
not published. Obscene or inflammatory documents are subject to
suppression and thus not generally circulated.

It all goes back to the nature of an encyclopedia, a summary of
generally accepted knowledge. That leaves plenty of room for projects
which move beyond generally accepted knowledge but those are other
projects.

Fred