[WikiEN-l] Deleting the Lolicon picture

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 09:39:59 UTC 2006

On 4/7/06, BJörn Lindqvist <bjourne at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would you please mind telling a curious reader how this image either
> is harmful to Wikipedia or has the potential to harm Wikipedia?

In that it provides an easy way for detractors to rubbish Wikipedia,
in that it has the potential to make Wikipedia harder to access for
some people (particularly children with parental control programs) and
in that including child pornography is not part of our goal to build a
free encyclopaedia.

> > The image deletion process has shown itself incapable of removing this
> > image.  The process is demonstrably broken when there is a hint of
> > controversy.  I don't take stepping outside accepted policy and
> > process lightly.  Here, however, it is absolutely right and absolutely
> > necessary.
>
> This seem to indicate that people disagree with you, why do they do that?

As far as I can tell, a good number (*not* all) of the people
discussing the matter on IfD were POV-pushing trolls.  IfD has long
shown itself incapable of deleting anything where there is a vague
controversy and where groups of POV-pushers are manifesting
themselves.

> > I apologise to any who see my actions as outrageously rogue-ish.  I
> > wish there were an alternative, less radical way.
>
> No. When you take the "my way or the highway" approach, people
> naturally tend to get irritated.

I don't quite understand your point.  I knew people would get
irritated.  What is your point?

--
Sam