[WikiEN-l] Britannica quote of the day

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Apr 3 19:38:07 UTC 2006

Philip Welch wrote:

>>>How bizzarre.
>>>

>>Not really.  How would you like it if someone went around to _your_
>>contributions and marked them up in ways you found insulting and
>>derogatory?  That would be a bad thing, and nobody should do it.  It
>>would be disrespectful of you as a contributor, and it would also be a
>>violation of Wikipedia policy.
>>

>If I wrote an article that had bare breasts, I wouldn't be in the
>least offended if someone tagged it as "has bare breasts".

We need to keep [[Britannia]] in mind where it says, "Early portraits of
the goddess depict Britannia as a beautiful young woman, wearing the
helmet of a Centurion <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion>, and
wrapped in a white toga with her right breast exposed."

IIRC Britannica had an arrangement of the trident and shield in its
logos before it adopted a thistle with which to nourish goats.

Who could complain about a goddess with her bare Britannicas ready to
nourish a nation?

Ec