[WikiEN-l] Use of English

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 17:34:46 UTC 2006

The most annoying thing about the "simple" interface (besides the
not-always-very-obvious menu titles) is that "pages i worked on" with
an uncapitalized "i" at the top of the page. Now I understand that
they are going for aesthetics here, but using an uncapitalized "i" for
the first-person pronoun is just wrong wrong wrong, whether for
aesthetic purposes or not. Either it should be capitalized or the
wording should be changed entirely.

My biggest problem with "simple" is that many of the articles I have
seen on there are just plain *incorrect* (i.e. one which listed
uranium as a "highly radioactive" element) -- I think it is very easy
for people to miss the fact that "simple" must still mean "correct" to
some degree, even if it is not necessarily as "precise" as an entry on
Wikipedia might be. I also fear that people who are not expert enough
to edit entries on Wikipedia are creating entries on simple without
consulting any sources than their own head (even consulting the
Wikipedia article would be better than that). I of course try to
correct it wherever I myself can, but I would encourage people to take
a look at the "simple" version of their favorite articles if one
exists and just make sure it has the basics right.

OK... I'm done ranting about this, got it out of my system. :-)

FF