[WikiEN-l] request to Jimbo for out-of-process deletion of image

SP poore5 at adelphia.net
Mon Apr 3 12:24:25 UTC 2006

Would Jimbo or someone else from the Foundation please look at of my
comments at
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia%3AImages_and_media_for_deletion%2F2006_March_29&diff=46739530&oldid=46719757
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia%3AImages_and_media_for_deletion%2F2006_March_29&diff=46739530&oldid=46719757>
and correct me if I have overstated the Foundation and Jimbo's opinion
on  the use of free images over fair use images.

I also have a slightly different opinion on the use of this photo (or a
similar free one) for educational purposes.  While the image itself is
horrible because it depicts the sexual exploitation of a child, its use
for educational purposes is not horrible. It is one of the least
offensive images available to illustrates the sexual exploitation of a
child. There are ways to make it obvious that it is being used for
educational purposes. Displaying the image lower on the page, reducing
the size of the image or using a link are possibilities. It has not been
used that way on Wikipedia and that is the problem. There are editors
arguing for the inclusion of the image because there is nothing
offensive about the image. These comments will get use close scrutiny
from groups like Perverted Justice. I don't know how it fix that as long
as we permit open discussion on talk pages.

regards,
Sydney aka FloNight