[WikiEN-l] request to Jimbo for out-of-process deletion of image

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 11:58:37 UTC 2006

On 4/3/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> > FWIW, Rama got a friend to take some nice montages of magazines in a
> > store - but did they go into the article? No. There is something
> > fundamentally wrong when we're willing to accept a potentially offensive
> > copyvio (which we justify under "fair use") over a neutral, Free image.

> That said, people have a hard time accepting "replace fair use" at the
> best of times. I've been wandering through various articles where
> we're bound to have free images in the last couple of days and
> replacing the fair-use ones with free. It's surprising how many of
> these changes are reverted on sight...

IMHO, raising "copyvio" or "free use" arguments in this case is sort
of missing the point. We should be adamant about deleting the image
because we don't want child porn in Wikipedia (or, to be more precise,
we don't want people to think that we have child porn in Wikipedia).
If the same image was public domain, what would we do?

Steve