[WikiEN-l] Analysis of Request for Adminship

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 07:59:24 UTC 2006

[[Wikipedia:Maintenance]] used to say "There is a common misconception
that only administrators can deal with Wikipedia:Votes for deletion."
It seems there is still this misconception, and for some reason, that
statement was replaced last July with the ambiguous "Non-admins can
help keep deletion pages clean by resolving discussions." (I'm not
sure what "resolving" means here, but I suppose it could be inferred
to mean closing.

The rule at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deletion_process#Non-Administrators_closing_discussions
says "Non-administrators may only close decisions which are
unambiguous 'keep' decisions" and unregistered users can't close them
at all. This was added last June with little discussion -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Deletion_process#Non_admins_and_no_consensus

Angela.