[WikiEN-l] Meta and the cleanup project

Ryan Norton wxprojects at comcast.net
Sun Apr 2 02:11:47 UTC 2006

Someone asked me to comment on the meta cleanup project, and
foundation-l is subscription-only, so I guess I'll comment here.

Basically, I agree with a lot of what Anthere said on the
foundation-list. I think a lot of people that come to meta freak out a
lot when they see the funky essays and don't realize that meta is sort
of a seperate project. What Walter said on Meta:Babel is pretty
accurate too - it is the bus station for several wiki projects. In
terms of the cleanup project in general though I thought/think it is a
great idea - cleanup on meta is always welcome - however, there were
just a lot of bad tags, perhaps due to recent changes in deletion
policy (or rather, more recent ambiguity), and I myself was a little
abrupt at times. The whole ironic part is that even though several were
claiming there wasn't a "meta community" I think a few prospectives for
administrator are finding out that there indeed is a bit of one...

I also stated in agreement with David that at times it is a bit the
"personal wiki" of the stewards on Meta:Babel. Really though, it is
sort of a semi-serious thing, I mean there isn't exactly a whole lot of
policy debates there relating to meta because it itself is fairly
clearly defined as to what it is - i.e. a sort of MeatBall-esque wiki -
and there isn't a TON of activity. Personally, I find it as a "feature"
that you can still track things with recent changes :). Besides, the
stewards there are by far doing a good portion of that work so the fact
that it is "run" by them is probably a result of activity more then
anything else.

Anyway, I hope people don't give up on cleaning up meta. You can still
have nearly all the interproject pages you need - and just having the
essays there isn't going to hurt that too much.

P.S. "Don't be a dick" is up for being moved AGAIN. Really, this thing
should just be on english because while it is tolerable there in
non-english languages it can be unnecessarily unruly. "Don't be a jerk"
is probably a decent replacement, albiet less traditional.

Your en and meta administrator
[[w:User:RN]]
[[m:User:RN]]