[WikiEN-l] One month block from Wikipedia

WikiAardvark at butterflyfiles.cjb.net WikiAardvark at butterflyfiles.cjb.net
Sat Apr 1 00:42:16 UTC 2006

I've been blocked for a month from Wikipedia for personal attacks. Now, I do grant that a block was perhaps justified... but I also feel that a month is quite egregarious.

Yes, I had stated my intention to go on wikibreak, but that isn't to say that I had not intended to come back from time to time, perhaps to comment on discussions or to perform some RC patrol on occasion.

To be fair, I didn't necessarily handle the block appropriately, instead responding by creating (and using some existing) sockpuppets and posting responses laden with even more personal attacks to the relevant thread on WP:ANI. (Sockpuppets: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia:Suspected_sockpuppets_of_Blu_Aardvark)

However, I also believe that I had legitimate cause for upset, as I was responding in part to being accused of being a neo-Nazi/racist/anti-Semite. The statements that I was subjected to where highly offensive, and I responded in a very similar vein. This isn't to justify my actions, which, in retrospect, where clear violations of numerous policies, but nonetheless, I do want to make clear that, in part at least, my personal attacks were a response to what I felt were also personal attacks.

I would like to request that my block be reduced to 24 or 48 hours, because, although I can grant that a block was appropriate, I do not believe that a block of one week (the initial length), or one month (the extended length after my response to an admin on my talk page) is appropriate. I do grant that my actions with sockpuppets may have ruined any chance at getting my block reduced to a more appropriate time frame, but I feel I must at the very least request it.