[WikiEN-l] Analysis of Request for Adminship

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Apr 1 22:49:49 UTC 2006

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:45:38 +0200, you wrote:
>

>>Is adminship really something that cannot be "learnt on the job"?
>>

>Adminship can *only* be learned on the job.  The point is, of course,
>that the admin tools are only really useful for certain classes of
>actions (like fighting vandalism).

Not necessarily.  I have already gone over four years without becoming a
Wikipedia admin.  If I were to change my mind now I would most likely
use Wikipedia adminship to revue the edit history of deleted articles
that have been transwikied to Wiktionary.  That would be a passive use
that would not even appear in the logs.

>If you don't already do this
>things then you will make more and bigger mistakes if you start doing
>them with admin tools than with regular editor rights, and if you
>don't intend to do these things why do you need the tools?  An admin
>has no more or less status in the community than any other editor in
>good standing.

In theory!

>There are many editors who do nothing but create good
>content, and steer clear of edit wars, POV-pushers, contentious
>subjects and so on.  Would that there were more of them!  And they
>have no need of admin tools.

Generally true.

Ec