[WikiEN-l] Re: yet another image lost for posterity

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Tue Nov 29 07:53:54 UTC 2005

Anthere wrote:
> Steve Block wrote:
>
>> Anthere wrote:

>>> see for example
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Anthere/box#Unverified_images
>>>
>>> it says
>>>
>>> Hi! Thanks for uploading the following image:
>>>     ▪     Image:DjeDje.jpg
>>>     ▪     Image:Dune.JPG
>>> I notice it currently doesn't have an image copyright tag. Could you
>>> add one to let us know its copyright status? (You can use {{gfdl}} if
>>> you release it under the GNU Free Documentation License, {{fairuse}}
>>> if you claim fair use, etc.) If you don't know what any of this
>>> means, just let me know at my talk page where you got the images and
>>> I'll tag them for you. Thanks so much. [[User:Poccil|Peter O. (Talk,
>>> automation script)]] 04:02, Dec 11, 2004 (UTC)
>>> P.S. You can help tag other images at User:Yann/Untagged_Images.
>>> Thanks again.
>>

>> To be fair, the above looks like an automated message, so it doesn't
>> actually state that fair use tags are acceptable on user pages.
>

> I think you should not play on words if you were fair.
>
> A year ago, fair use was authorized, with no mention if it was
> authorized in the encyclopedic content or in the user page.
> Amongst the two untaggued pages listed above, one was a picture of my
> daughter and labelled as such. It was clearly not meant for encyclopedic
> space.

Ah, I see what you are saying. Yes it looks like policy was changed in
this edit,
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Criteria_for_speedy_deletion&oldid=23949737
on the 24 Septembe 2005, 23:53 by Kelly Martin, who comments it is Jimbo
approved.  There's probably an important lesson here somewhere.