[WikiEN-l] Re: yet another image lost for posterity

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 07:41:40 UTC 2005

On 11/28/05, Justin Cormack <justin at specialbusservice.com> wrote:

> For a
> while we had some bot assisted notification for some classes of
> speedy delete; hopefully these will return soon if the bot bureaucracy
> can be overcome (er, performance improves). This particular deletion
> is not about this really, it is about communication of changing policies
> to people.

Agreed, this is about politeness and respect for fellow community
members.  There are two problems of rudeness here : users who, despite
the current active warnings, don't take time to tag their images
properly; and users who, in cleaning up the wiki, feel they have the
right - or that their time is so valuable that they need - to delete
the contributions of others without warning.

It's not just a matter of the time-investment of the admins exercising
the delete button.  It's also a matter of the users who feel really
betrayed when they discover one day that a favorite image is gone
forever -- without even a backup.

Suggestions : 1) provide an undelete-image feature!  2) provide a
quarantine area where one can put dubious images "immediately" while
waiting for polite notice to run its course

Ant and others: If you have lost images to zealous copyright
enforcement, see also
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Lost_images

SJ