[WikiEN-l] Support freedum of infromashuon

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Tue Nov 29 00:47:41 UTC 2005

On 29 Nov 2005, at 00:24, stevertigo wrote:

> --- Justin Cormack <justin at specialbusservice.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Best thing is to make it a featured article, it will
>> get on the front page fast.
>
> Its been on the front page for two or three days now.

Yeah but no but. Previous poster wanted more publicity. Was
just suggesting improving article to FA was best way...

>> But I am in the UK so not like used to freedom or
>> stuff so
>> what do I know.
>
> OK, I wasnt sure. Ive never been there. Ive heard you
> guys have lots of Starbucks' popping up though.

Oh yes loads. Come and visit, you are very welcome.

Sorry, I find your tone of voice slightly hard to
interpret by email, I think the ironing may be mixed up.

>> Stevertigo, the UK press normally ignore official
> secrets act "gagging".
>> There is a public interest defence. Sometimes
> someone goes to prison its true.
>
> Thats good to know. I had thought all the brave people
> were here in the USA.

I am afraid that [[Official Secret Act]] is really really bad
and doesnt reflect much of the importance. I did think the UK
law articles were in a kind of ok state, but it seems not.
IANAL though, so not sure I can help very much. Although
[[Riot Act]] is equally bad I have mroe historical background.

> --- geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Erm no we don't. We don't have a history of
> deferring to anyone.
>
> OK, fine -- have it your way.
>> We don't know that there are other posible reasons
> for the offcial secrets act kicking in.
>
> Youre right -- there could be other valid reasons for
> suppressing a document which describes a conversation
> between public officials about committing terrorism
> against private citizens of a friendly state. We
> should just defer to the wisdom of the Krown.

Most official discussions are not released. The US
has not released it either. Can a transcript be
obtained under the US Freedom of Information Act?
The UK FoI version is not real.

>> Public domain? I doubt it. Crown copyright perhaps.
>
> Well then she could just send us a takedown notice and
> we'll immediately obey, offering to polish the crown
> jewels if she likes as a peace offering.

Yes, get a copy and we can do that. As a republican
I wont be offering to polish the crown jewels though.

Justinc